Thursday, December 31, 2015

Happy New Year



Greg and I wish you all a healthy and happy new year. We thank you for standing by us and listening to our story and giving us the strength to face each day.

Today Greg was flipped on his belly for PT to work on strengthening muscles associated with his posture. It is hard for him to maintain good posture because of the weakened neck muscles and by going on his back those muscles can be engaged in a good way. We also went to a meeting of the Spinal Association-Greater Boston Chapter. I was the only caregiver, everyone else was a patient or past patient and meter of the association. The different perspectives and experiences were interesting to listen to and learn from. I think we both appreciated being able to hear a little about life after rehab-life after 5 years or more. They all described it as a process from seeing yourself as a person with this injury, in this wheelchair, etc. to at some point being able to just see and be yourself. They stressed that living an active life was within reach and you just had to be active in creating it.

It is 10:30 on New Year's Eve, Greg is sleeping and I am watching the crazy folks standing and freezing in Times Square and wondering what the ##### is going on. How can life take another one of these left turns, down a road I never knew existed. I can't spend too much time feeling sorry for me, for us, just have to love that man and try to do everything in my power to make our lives the best they can be. With Greg by my side I know we can do it. We will figure it out step by step and  make it work.

3 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you and Greg. May the new year bring you both joy and happiness. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both. Rose and LJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Cheryl and Greg. May each day of the new year make you both stronger and stronger. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue and I really appreciate your blogs. You are both so inspiring.
    We love you!!

    ReplyDelete